Suggested weight range
Boat Overall Length
Beam At Waterline
Mould 137 is designed around a 72.5kg midpoint, specifically for Heavyweight Women and Lightweight Men.
This is a brand new hull shape designed by the Sykes R & D team lead by Dr Matt Dingle. This hull shape is the fastest and most efficient design Sykes have produced for this crew weight. Olympic Gold Medallist Kim Brennan and her coach Lyall McCarthy both contributed significantly in the development and testing of this boat in our factory and on the Barwon River.
The Sykes product development process is a highly structured and technically rigorous approach that begins with benchmarking other hulls on the market. We then systematically ensure that we achieve the highest performance possible in all aspects of our new design. Design targets are established for speed, stability and stiffness/strength. Advanced mathematical modelling, including FEA, CFD and CAD, is used in all phases of the development process. The results are then validated through extensive physical testing both on the water and in our specialised testing equipment in house.
The key features of the M137 include:
- Fine entry angles at the bow resulting in minimal bow wave development.
- A hull shape which has achieved unprecedented levels of stability coupled with very low drag at all speeds.
- A new construction method/lay-up, which includes a combination of Carbon Fibre, Nomex honeycomb and Kevlar.
- A new rigger foot for the aluminium rigger.
- New bow and stern deck joins.
- Option of Bow or Stern mounted rigger.
The construction method used in Mould 137 has increased stiffness by 25% under rowing loads. Rowing loads are taken from actual rowing loads measured using the Peach system for a range of rowers in the weight class. These loads are applied at various stages in the stroke to ensure that the structures are optimised for catch, mid stroke and finish. This was tested and confirmed through extensive Finite Element Analysis modelling completed by our R and D team. It was again confirmed through hydro-static deflection testing on the water. This increase was achieved through the use of Kevlar and extensive uni-directional Carbon-fibre tapes to distribute rowing forces efficiently through the hull. For the M137 aluminium wing rigger, there is a new attachment foot which dramatically improves the transfer of rowing loads, and offers better protection from collision damage to the rigger itself.
Sykes “5K Construction”
- 5K is Sykes very own method of high strength, high stiffness carbon composite construction designed to save weight and increase stiffness. With a Kevlar presence in the footwells, these areas are now more damage resistant from athletes dropping items into the bottom of the boat (i.e. drink bottles).
Moulded Stern Bulkheads
- We have improved the layup and integration of the stern bulkhead, which now flows smoothly over the stern deck. This improves stiffness and greatly improves the aesthetics of the boat.
Moulded Mono Decks
- Sykes mono deck features a state of the art design that not only improves the structure and style of the boat, but significantly improves the overall comfort for the rower. When you row in a Sykes boat, it will feel the same, regardless of what seat you are in!
- Along with pin block measurement tapes standard on all Sykes boats, a centre line is marked on the base of all our pins. This makes it easy to see the centre of the span when measuring. Just one way Sykes makes rigging your boat that little bit easier.
Carbon Bow Mount Rigger (Optional Extra)
- The Sykes Carbon bow mount rigger is the forerunner in rigger construction. Designed by leading Australian engineers, the Sykes rigger is able to deliver the best for any elite athlete. Using prepreg carbon fibre with an advanced bladder moulding technique creates a single seamless rigger with zero joins.
- Corrosion is something all rowers face when looking for long jeopardy of their rowing hulls. That’s why Sykes has integrated titanium fittings, from pins to bushings on its premium carbon bow mount rigger.
- It’s always frustrating when you’re on the water and need to adjust feet height, angle etc. but don’t have a spanner handy. That’s why we made a stretcher where there are no tools required. Designed and manufactured in house, the Sykes stretcher offers the ultimate combination of lightweight, stiff and easy adjustment so you can spend more time training.
Sykes offer four different single scull options: Mould 135, Mould 137, Mould 138 and Mould 139. The final digit in each mould number indicates the weight range intended for the boat ie. Mould 139 for a 90+kg athlete. If you would like further information about any of these moulds, please contact us.