Suggested weight range
Beam At Waterline
Mould 138 is designed around an 85kg midpoint, specifically for Middleweight Men and Heavyweight Women. Athletes in this weight range in the past often found themselves having to choose a boat which is either slightly too big or too small. With the growth of Masters rowing and more rowers in this weight range purchasing their own sculls, it is a natural progression for Sykes to design and offer a dedicated boat for this weight range. It is not a scaled version of an existing mould, nor is it a cut down version of a bigger mould. It is a dedicated mould for this specific weight range, and a design that we are very proud of.
Mould 138 followed the same design and testing processes used by our R & D Team in other recent releases, including Moulds 135, 137, 214 and 857. The Sykes product development process is a highly structured and technically rigorous approach that begins with benchmarking other hulls on the market. We then ensure that we achieve the highest performance possible in all aspects of a new design. Design targets are established for speed, stability and stiffness/strength. Advanced mathematical modelling, including FEA, CFD and CAD, is used in all phases of the development process. The results are then validated through extensive physical testing both on the water and in our specialised testing equipment in house.
The key features of the M138 include:
- Fine entry angles at the bow resulting in minimal bow wave development.
- A hull shape which has achieved unprecedented levels of stability coupled with very low drag at all speeds.
- A new construction method/lay-up, which includes a combination of Carbon Fibre, Nomex honeycomb and Kevlar.
- Bow mounted carbon fibre rigger or Stern mounted aluminium rigger options
- A new rigger foot for the aluminium rigger.
- New bow and stern deck joins.
The construction method used in Mould 137 and now M138, has increased stiffness by 25% under rowing loads. Rowing loads are calculated from actual rowing loads measured using the Peach system for a range of rowers in the weight class. These loads are applied at various stages in the stroke to ensure that the structures are optimised for catch, mid stroke and finish. This was tested and confirmed through extensive Finite Element Analysis modelling completed by our R and D team. It was again confirmed through hydro-static deflection testing on the water. This increase was achieved through the addition of Kevlar and extensive uni-directional Carbon-fibre tapes to distribute rowing forces efficiently through the hull. For the M138 aluminium wing rigger, there is a new attachment foot which dramatically improves the transfer of rowing loads, and offers better protection from collision damage to the rigger itself.
Sykes “5K Construction”
- 5K is Sykes very own method of high strength, high stiffness carbon composite construction designed to save weight and increase stiffness. With a Kevlar presence in the footwells, these areas are now more damage resistant from athletes dropping items into the bottom of the boat (i.e. drink bottles).
Moulded Mono Decks
- Sykes mono deck features a state of the art design that not only improves the structure and style of the boat, but significantly improves the overall comfort for the rower. When you row in a Sykes boat, it will feel the same, regardless of what seat you are in!
- Along with pin block measurement tapes standard on all Sykes boats, a centre line is marked on the base of all our pins. This makes it easy to see the centre of the span when measuring. Just one way Sykes makes rigging your boat that little bit easier.
Moulded Stern Bulkheads
- We have improved the layup and integration of the stern bulkhead, which now flows smoothly over the stern deck. This improves stiffness and greatly improves the aesthetics of the boat.
Sykes offer five different single scull options: Mould 135, Mould 136, Mould 137, Mould 138 and Mould 139. The final digit in each mould number indicates the weight range intended for the boat i.e. Mould 139 for a 90+kg athlete. In the case of Mould 136 and Mould 137, both are for a similar weight range, and it is recommended to speak with our sales staff when deciding which Sykes boat is best suited to your needs.[powr-popup id=24a5eea0_1507086897]